Thursday 30 July 2015

Taking A Shopping Trip Down Memory Lane

My son had been going with his girl for over a year, so my wife and I were not surprised when he told us he was going to ask her to marry him. What did surprise us was when he asked me and not my wife to go with him to the jewelry store when he shopped for engagement rings. We pointed out to him that it had been almost three decades since I had been shopping for diamond engagement rings, and as someone who wears more diamond jewelry than I do, his mother might be a better person for this trip. He admitted they were both valid points but it was me he wanted to come with him, so off we went.

I’ve been back to the jewelry store over the years selecting anniversary presents and birthday gifts, but since I didn’t need to worry about bridal diamond rings, I stopped paying attention to all of the new designs that were out there. My son had done a little bit of research online, but based on his reaction when we walked in the store and the sales associate asked if she could help us, it had only been enough research to realize how completely overwhelmed he was going to be. I answered that we were shopping for engagement rings and that the groom-to-be was a little nervous.

She immediately did everything she could to put us at ease. Walking us over to a small sitting area with comfortable chairs, she explained her background and certification so we knew she could answer all of our questions. Once we were relaxing, she began to ask my son a few general questions about what he was looking for. Satisfied with the answers, she excused herself for a moment to select a few different engagement rings to look at.

Once he had the diamond jewelry in his hands, it made it easier for him to be more specific with what he was looking for. She was very patient with us, taking the time to show us as many rings as he wanted to see. When he finally had it narrowed down to three finalists, she even suggested that he take a few days to think about it. Doing just that he, he went back a week later, this time with his mom, to show her the engagement ring he had selected.

No comments:

Post a Comment